June 2015 Monthly Newsletter
We meet the third Tuesday of every month. Our Next Meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 16th, 2015 at 7:00 PM* in The Barrow Mansion, located at 83 Wayne St.
*Please note that as a result of community input, we have moved our regular monthly meeting time from 7:30pm to 7:00pm.
Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda
Whether you are new to the neighborhood or a long-time resident, this is YOUR COMMUNITY. Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood!
At this month’s meeting, Councilwoman-at-large Joyce Watterman will be joining us to discuss hot issues that are currently before the City Council and Deputy Mayor Marcos Vigil will be discussing the responsibilities of, and contact names/numbers in, the various departments that operate under the Office of the Mayor. Come on out to hear Ms. Watterman and Mr. Vigil speak and stay informed as to what is happening in your community.
7:00pm – Call to Order – President Oona Moore 7:00pm – 7:15pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Bright & Varick Committee Report– Ceci de Leon
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:15pm – 7:30pm – New Business
- Community input is welcomed for any new issues/concerns affecting our community.
7:30pm – 8:30pm – Guest Speakers
- Joyce Watterman (7:30pm – 8:00pm)
- Deputy Mayor Marcos Vigil (8:00pm – 8:30pm)
8:30pm – 9:00pm – Announcements & Community networking
News You Can Use
As always, we bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. This month we are featuring three items of note.
- Thank you all for the terrific turnout at our May VVPA meeting and follow up meeting regarding the Columbus Project Redevelopment Plan (corner of Christopher Columbus Drive and Barrow Street). The VVPA has submitted a letter to the Mayor, City Council and City Planning summarizing the feedback from the community. Additionally, as a result of community feedback, the VVPA will be posting tips and contact names/numbers of your elected officials on the Van Vorst Park Association website. Members of the community who would like to reach out to their elected officials to expresstheir concerns about this or any future development projects may find this information useful.
- Mayor Fulop has established Jersey City VISTAS (JC VISTAS), a federally-funded volunteer project that will address the needs of low-income residents by expanding economic opportunity, engaging youth and strengthening communities. For additional information, please see the program details on the City of Jersey City website.
- Mayor Fulop has instituted expanded hours at the Building Department to include Saturdays from 9am – 1pm to provide residents with access to the office to complete applications, for contractor registrations, to pick up documents and permits and other administrative business. For more information, click here.
Below is just a partial list of the many, many wonderful events happening in the Van Vorst neighborhood and throughout our city. If you have a community event that you’d like featured in our newsletter, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Films in Van Vorst – Wednesdays throughout the summer, starting June 10th, 8pm
The 11th season of Films in Van Vorst is here! Starting 6/10, and continuing every other Wednesday throughout the summer, Films in Van Vorst shows FREE movies under the stars in Van Vorst Park. Bring a chair, bring a friend – they’ll supply the popcorn. For additional information or a full schedule, click on the Films in Van Vorst link.
Van Vorst Boogie’s Summer Salsa Night – Saturday, June 20th, 7pm
On Saturday, 6/20, get your summer swing on with Van Vorst Boogie’s Summer Salsa Night. They will teach you the basics then you can dance the night away in our beautiful park! This FREE event, being held by the Gazebo in Van Vorst Park, runs from 7:00pm -10:30pm. For more information, click on the link for the Van Vorst Boogie’s Summer Salsa Night, or check out their Facebook page.
Other Jersey City Events
North River Sing – Friday, June 12th, 8pm
Come on out to hear the North River Sing Spring Concernt, featurning all your favorite Jazz standards and Showtunes! Concert will be held on Friday, June 12th at 8pm in St. Matthew’s Church (83 Wayne Street). Admission is FREE, with a requested donation.
Hamilton Park Festival – Saturday, June 13th, 10am
Join our neighbors to the North for the 30th Hamilton Park Festival. The festival is being held on Saturday, 6/13 from 10am – 6pm (rain date Sunday, 6/14), featuring live entertainment, food, vendors, crafts, children’s activities. For more information, click on the link for the Hamilton Park Festival.
Freedom & Fireworks Festival – Saturday, July 4th, 1pm
On Saturday, 7/4, there will be a Freedom & Fireworks Festival in Liberty State Park from 1:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Stay tuned to the City of Jersey City website for further information!
Van Vorst Park Farmer’s Market – Saturdays, May – December, 8am
The weekly farmers market, brought to you by the Friends of Van Vorst Park, is in full swing! The farmer’s market runs from 8am – 5pm on Saturdays from May – December by the Gazebo in Van Vorst Park. Stop by for some delicious local food and goods!
Groove on Grove – Wednesdays, 6pm
An Outdoor Weekly Music series featuring local Jersey City bands. Groove on Grove runs Wednesdays from 6pm – 9pm in the Grove St PATH Plaza. For more information, or a detailed schedule of events, click on the Groove on Grove link.
The 6th Borough Market – 2nd & 4th Sundays of the month, 11am
A family-friendly outdoor market in historic downtown Jersey City on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of every month from 11am – 5pm. This market, located at the corner of Marin Blvd. and Montgomery St, features delicious food, fabulous finds, and great times! For more information or a detailed schedule, click on the The 6th Borough Market link.
Important City Public Meetings
Below is a partial list of important City Public Meetings that members of the community may be interested in attending. For the full schedule and location details, please refer to the Public Meetings Calendar found on the City of Jersey City website.
June City Council Meetings will be held on 6/10 and 6/24
June Historic Preservation Commission Meeting will be held on 6/15
June Zoning Board Meeting will be held on 6/18
June Planning Board Meetings will be held on 6/9 and 6/23
July City Council Meetings will be held on 7/1 and 7/15 (10 am meeting)
July Historic Preservation Commission Meeting will be held on 7/20
July Zoning Board Meeting will be held on 7/23
July Planning Board Meetings will be held on 7/7 and 7/21.
Thanks to our Generous Sponsors!
We’d like to thank our sponsors Dixon Leasing: a subsidiary of Dixon Advisory, Silverman: Building Neighborhoods, PSE&G, Jersey City Medical Center/Barnabas Health and the Friends of Van Vorst Park for their generous donations. Without our sponsors, we would not be able to bring you so many FREE or low-cost events throughout the year. We encourage all of you to support these businesses and let them know that you appreciate their donations! If you are a local business that would like to become a VVPA sponsor, please reach out to us at email@example.com.