Meeting Minutes – November 17th, 2015
7:07pm – Call to Order – President Oona Moore
- Moment of silence for Meredith Lippman – Hudson County Cultural Affairs, Van Vorst Neighbor
Officer / Committee Reports
Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Accounts in good financial standing
Construction /Development Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Columbus Towers – developer haven’t come back to city planning as of yet, will reach out to Candice Osborne and Bob Kotter, head City Planner for update
- 243, 261, 263 York St – sent revised drawings to development sub-committee for this proposed project; not all concerns addressed from when they presented previously, awaiting developer to make changes
Bright & Varick Committee Report– Ceci de Leon
- Waiting to be scheduled by courts
- Need to pay attorney’s fees
- VVPA still not fully involved in the conversation – it’s between developer and city (despite our desire to be involved)
Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
- Haunted Gazeebo and Shake your Ghoul thing – very successful!
- Barrow Mansion Development Corporation in cooperation with VVPA – Deck the Halls on Friday, 12/4/15; Open House Party/Tour of Mansion on Saturday, 12/5/15. Free and open to all!
Election for 2016 VVPA Board Members –Dan Webber, Elections Officer
- Uncontested positions, per by-laws the individuals below assume the positions at the end of tonight’s meeting:
- President – Oona Moore
- 1st VP –Gerry Bakirtjy
- 2nd VP – Jeff Agnew
- Treasurer – Tom Ogorzalek
- Secretary – Yolanda Foley
- At Large – John Ross
- At Large – Ben Bernouy
Voting on Changes to VVPA By-Laws – Dan Webber
- Increased voting limits of members from $400 to $499
- Board can spend up to $500 w/o submitting to a general vote, can approve it 2x w/in one month
- Voting for funds requested at a meeting will be pushed to the subsequent meeting
- At large positions will be permanent positions; President can appoint 2 additional positions at their discretion; past president will stay a permanent position; positions will be for 2 years, and elections for positions will be staggered; Nominations moved to October; Elections moved to November
- New bylaws have been adopted.
- Guest Speakers Riverview Neighborhood Association President – Kern Weisman & Treasurer – Roger; and Esther Wintner – involved with Civic JC and with neighborhood association in Lincoln Park
- Discussed community concerns with DRAFT Central Ave Redevelopment Plan without Community Input or consideration for infrastructure, transportation, etc. Also discussed lack of Master Plan for the City and City’s continued ignoring of this concern.
- Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (DCNA) – Top 3 Common Neighborhood Issues:
- Master Plan – vision for city?
- No more redevelopment plans without community input!
- Spot zoning/restaurant under the guise of overlay zone
- Strength in numbers for common city issues! Want to come together across the city to address these as a city. JCNC – Jersey City Neighborhood Coalition
- Discussed how to move forward as a collective
Frank Scalcione from the JC Residents Response Center
- Located room 106 in City Hall; Open 8am – 8pm
- Process: complaints submitted – submitter provided tracking number as a reference (tracking #s create accountability) – issue addressed – response to submitter
- Internal process to prioritize calls exists; however, resident isn’t informed of prioritization or timeframe for resolution
- Recent PSE&G milling & paving issues – were resolved without RRC initially; however RRC says it is important to involve them so they can address quickly and create log/tracking
- Signs up less than 24 hours on Varick between Columbus and Montgomery – JCRCC needs to get involved to address this immediately.
- People don’t have confidence in the RRC’s ability to rapidly address issues in real time situation
- What is done with the data from the complaints? Is there a data dashboard being developed? Not sure how/if this is being analyzed.
- Call JCPD Non-Emergency Number for off-hours issues: 201.547.5477; JCRRR needs an off-hours response center person for non-emergency time sensitive issues.
- JCRRC need to set expectations for submitters for timeframe for when issue will be resolved, or when JCRRC will get back to submitter.
- JCRRC stated they follow up with submitters to ensure that the issue was resolved to their satisfaction.
274 Barrow Street Project: proposed 2-story addition to existing single story 3 car garage located on Montgomery St.
Announcements & Community networking
- Many committee people, working on getting a list of all committee people in the area, as well as preparing a map to identify block captains; increases network, increases safety.
- Members will be working on updating logo for brand identity
- Newly appointed Directors: Angelo Estrada, director of outreach; Dermot Ronan, director of special projects (brochure for new residents, sponsorship committee)
Adjournment – 9:15 pm