Spring is nearly upon us!! As the weather starts to get a little warmer and the days a little brighter, there are lots of happenings around Jersey City! As usual, our monthly newsletter is packed with information about neighborhood activities as well as useful information on what’s happening in and around our neighborhoods.
The VVPA’s monthly meeting schedule is the 3rd Tuesday of the month, so we look forward to seeing you at the next VVPA monthly meeting, which will be held on Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 at 7:00 PM in The Barrow Mansion, located at 83 Wayne St.
Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda
Whether you are new to the neighborhood or a long-time resident, this is YOUR COMMUNITY. Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood!
This month’s meeting features a discussion about the current and future status of the Pedestrian Mall (this agenda item was postponed from last month).
7:00pm – Welcome and Call to Order – President Oona Moore
7:05pm – 7:30pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Bright & Varick Committee Report– Ceci de Leon
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:30pm – 7:50pm – New Business
- Community input is welcomed for any new issues/concerns affecting our community. In particular, we’d like to hear from you about the future agenda items / guest speakers you’d like to see at our monthly VVPA meetings.
7:50pm – 8:50pm – Guest Speakers
- Pedestrian Mall – Brian Platt, Office of Innovation, JC Mayor’s Office
- 158-162 Mercer Street: Renovation of the Church / Rectory into a multi-family residential building – Dixon Properties
254 Montgomery Street: Renovation of the single story rear garage on Barrow Street to include a new roof deck addition – Dixon Properties
8:50pm – 9:00pm – Announcements & Community networking
News You Can Use
As always, we try to bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. If you have any items that are important to share, please email us at email@example.com.
- East District Captain’s Meetings, which are regularly scheduled for the 4th Tuesday of every month at 7pm (typically in MS4 Library on Bright St., but location subject to change), are a great opportunity for community members to discuss crime/crime trends, quality of life issues, and other safety/security concerns with the JCPD. For more information on upcoming meetings, reach out to the JCDP East District Community Relations Officer, Dina Lionakis, at 201.547.4370 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VVPA Sponsors – In order to bring you free and low-cost events throughout the year, the VVPA depends on fundraising and sponsorship from local businesses and community members. For more information on the benefits of becoming a sponsor, as well as the various sponsorship levels that are available, please reach out to us at email@example.com. Or, you can go directly to the VVPA website and click on the Donate button!
- In addition to receiving news you can use from VVPA, we encourage all residents to sign up to receive Community News/Updates from your elected officials. Sign up for updates from Candice Osborne and Steven Fulop by clicking on the links provided.
- Jersey City Resident Response Center is a resource available to all to find answers to commonly asked questions or to report non-emergency concerns/problems to the City of Jersey City (potholes, failure to pick up trash, fallen tree branch removal, etc.). In addition to utilizing the JCRRC website, residents may also download the app on their phone (Jersey City RRC Fix-It) and can attach photos to any request to help clarify the concern. We encourage all to utilize these resources to help resolve issues in their community.
- Stay Informed and Active in your Community by signing up for the NextDoor and Swift911 applications and monitoring local news through NJ.Com/hudson. Nextdoor is a private social network that connects neighbors to talk online and makes communities stronger, better and safer. The City uses the Swift911 platform to send citywide emergency and non-emergency alerts through a variety of channels including voice, text message, email, fax, pager, and social media such as facebook and Twitter. Registration is free, so join today!
The Next Library Board Meeting is Tuesday, March 8, 2016 @ 5:30 p.m. at the Miller Branch Library – 489 Bergen Avenue. For additional information on the many wonderful events happening throughout the JC Library system, click here.
Below is just a partial list of the many, many wonderful events happening in the Van Vorst neighborhood and throughout our city. If you have a community event that you’d like featured in our newsletter, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VVPA Sponsored Events
Easter Egg Hunt – Date TBD
Check out the annual Easter Egg Hunt in Van Vorst Park co-sponsored by VVPA and Friends of Van Vorst! Date TBD — keep checking the VVPA Facebook page for details! And, as an FYI, we are at 996 likes for the page…only 4 more and we hit 1000!!!!
Other Community Events
Due to a recent burst pipe in Art House’s space, resulting in severe water damage and flooding to their facilities, they have temporarily shut down their facilities to asses and repair the damages. Therefore, the event will take place in a rented space at Merseles Studios in downtown Jersey City. All are encouraged to attend this great event and to consider making donations to offset the unexpected costs associated with the facility repairs.
For the full schedule and location details of Important City Public Meetings, please refer to the Public Meetings Calendar found on the City of Jersey City website. Remember, it’s YOUR COMMUNITY, so stay informed and stay involved!
Thanks to our Generous Sponsors!
We’d like to thank our sponsors Dixon Leasing: a subsidiary of Dixon Advisory and Barrow Mansion Development Corporation for their generous donation. And, we always love working with Friends of Van Vorst Park! Without our sponsors and friends, we would not be able to bring you so many FREE or low-cost events throughout the year. We encourage all of you to support these businesses and let them know that you appreciate their donations! If you are a local business that would like to become a VVPA sponsor, please reach out to the VVPA sponsorship committee at email@example.com.