Welcome spring! In addition to seeing all the beautiful flowers starting to bloom in our parks and throughout our neighborhood, we are also seeing something else making an appearance…..all of you! We are super excited to once again connect with all of you and see you out and about in the Van Vorst community.
As usual, our monthly newsletter is packed with information about neighborhood activities as well as useful information on what’s happening in and around our neighborhoods.
As usual, the VVPA’s monthly meeting schedule is the 3rd Tuesday of the month, so we look forward to seeing you at the next VVPA monthly meeting, which will be held on Tuesday, April 19th, 2016 at 7:00 PM in The Barrow Mansion, located at 83 Wayne St.
Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda
Whether you are new to the neighborhood or a long-time resident, this is YOUR COMMUNITY. Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood!
This month’s meeting features a meet and greet with James Shea, Director of the Department of Public Safety for the City of Jersey City.
7:00pm – Welcome and Call to Order – President Oona Moore
7:05pm – 7:30pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Bright & Varick Committee Report– Ceci de Leon
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:30pm – 8:15pm – New Business
- Donation request – Embankment Preservation Coalition
- Parking Concerns & Community Action Items
- Property Tax Reval
- Future Meeting Topics/Ideas
- Community input is welcomed for any new issues/concerns affecting our community.
8:15pm – 8:50pm – Guest Speakers
- James Shea, Director, Department of Public Safety – Meet & Greet
8:50pm – 9:00pm – Announcements & Community networking
News You Can Use
As always, we try to bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. If you have any items that are important to share, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- East District Captain’s Meetings, which are regularly scheduled for the 4th Tuesday of every month at 7pm (typically in MS4 Library on Bright St., but location subject to change), are a great opportunity for community members to discuss crime/crime trends, quality of life issues, and other safety/security concerns with the JCPD. For more information on upcoming meetings, reach out to the JCDP East District Community Relations Officer, Dina Lionakis, at 201.547.4370 / email@example.com.
- VVPA Sponsors – In order to bring you free and low-cost events throughout the year, the VVPA depends on fundraising and sponsorship from local businesses and community members. For more information on the benefits of becoming a sponsor, as well as the various sponsorship levels that are available, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can go directly to the VVPA website and click on the Donate button!
- In addition to receiving news you can use from VVPA, we encourage all residents to sign up to receive Community News/Updates from your elected officials. Sign up for updates from Candice Osborne and Steven Fulop by clicking on the links provided.
- Jersey City Resident Response Center is a resource available to all to find answers to commonly asked questions or to report non-emergency concerns/problems to the City of Jersey City (potholes, failure to pick up trash, fallen tree branch removal, etc.). In addition to utilizing the JCRRC website, residents may also download the app on their phone (Jersey City RRC Fix-It) and can attach photos to any request to help clarify the concern. We encourage all to utilize these resources to help resolve issues in their community.
- Stay Informed and Active in your Community by signing up for the NextDoor and Swift911 applications and monitoring local news through NJ.Com/hudson. Nextdoor is a private social network that connects neighbors to talk online and makes communities stronger, better and safer. The City uses the Swift911 platform to send citywide emergency and non-emergency alerts through a variety of channels including voice, text message, email, fax, pager, and social media such as facebook and Twitter. Registration is free, so join today!
- The Office of Innovation is seeking your input for a community-wide survey to evaluate and help reform the City’s processes in the Building, Zoning, and Licensing Departments. This is an opportunity to let your voice be heard to make a difference in your community. Click here to access the survey.
- Concerned neighbors posted on the Next Door app valuable information about Property Tax Appeals and the Reval. Click here to watch the video on this topic. Additionally, you may find useful information about property revaluations on civicparent.org.
- Did you know that The Jersey City Free Public Library system hosts tons of free events throughout the year? For additional information on the many wonderful events happening in May throughout the JC Library system, click here.
Below is just a partial list of the many, many wonderful events happening in the Van Vorst neighborhood and throughout our city. If you have a community event that you’d like featured in our newsletter, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
VVPA Sponsored Events
VVPA’s Inaugural Golf Outing – June10th, 4pm
Mark your calendars!!! We’re extremely excited to announce that the VVPA’s Inaugural Golf Outing is almost here!! Dust off your tees and golf clubs and get ready to show off your skills on June 10th at the Skyway Golf Course at Lincoln Park West. Fun for all!! Non-golfers welcome too! Stay tuned, more details are forthcoming. Fore!!!!!
Other Community Events
JC Sumer Camp Fair – Saturday, April 16th, 10am-1pm
Come out to City Hall Plaza on Saturday, 4/16 to get information about & speak to the representatives of major Summer Camps & Activity Centers in & around Jersey City & Hoboken. For more information, visit the Jersey City Cultural Affairs website.
The Great Jersey City Cleanup – Saturday, April 23rd, 9am
Earth Day Festival – Saturday, April 23rd, 11am – 6pm
For the full schedule and location details of Important City Public Meetings, please refer to the Public Meetings Calendar found on the City of Jersey City website. Remember, it’s YOUR COMMUNITY, so stay informed and stay involved!