Meeting Minutes – October 18th, 2016
7:10pm – Call to Order – President Oona Moore
- Always looking for volunteers to help with our social events, looking for community members to be engaged with city/community meetings, and to be involved with the association in leadership positions/board positions, etc., so please let us know if you are interested
- Bring a neighbor to a meeting or an event – spread the word!
Officer / Committee Reports
Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- All accounts in good standing, no outstanding bills, in good shape with projected operating expenses for the rest of the year
Construction /Development Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Montgomery Gateway Redevelopment Plan (328 Montgomery) – applicant went before historic board approval. Rec’d approval w/conditions, still have to go in front of planning board. The VVPA highly encourages all interested parties to go to the associated planning board meeting to express all concerns you may have about quality of life, use for the space, etc. Stay tuned to our website for information, will also do an email blast.
- VVPA sent letter to City summarizing community concerns with this project
- Bates street development project, part of the Bates Street Redevelopment Plan (area by Pathmark by Turnpike) – developer had previously presented, this is their return to VVPA for update.
- Planning & Development sub-committee – developers usually reach out in advance before presenting at VVPA monthly meetings. Anyone interested in being on the committee, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
- JCAST – initial VVPA involvement in this event. Had 32 artists, over 70 works of art, did sell a few pieces. Next potential art event will be JC Fridays will be in December – stay tuned for information. Sponsors: Jersey Wines & Spirits, Van Hook Cheese Shop, Wurst Bar, JC Fish Store, Brightside Tavern. Thank the sponsors by supporting their businesses!
- Halloween in the Park on 10/31 from 4pm-8pm in Van Vorst Park by the gazeebo. Candy & cookie for the kids, cider for the adults. Volunteers welcome from ~1pm onward to help out.
- Annual end-of-year celebration / open House in December in conjunction with Barrow Mansion – details forthcoming!
- President – Oona will extend for 6 months
- Second Vice President – Ben Bernouy
- Secretary – Yolanda will extend for 6 months
- Treasurer – Dermot Ronan
- At-Large – Angelo Estrada & Karen Lorentz
- Important for the board to carry on strong – we have made great progress with the city, let’s keep the initiative going! Anyone who is interested in serving on the board, please let us know!
- Parking – continues to be difficult to park. Enforcement agent was checking stickers for zone parking. In particular, there is a lack of enforcement on Wednesdays (b/c no street sweeping). Speak up and contact your city representatives if you care about this issue.
- City hasn’t sent out reminders because according to the Parking Authority, the computers were down and they didn’t have money for stamps.
- Contact RRC or the newspapers to state your concerns!
- Bright & Varick – oral arguments were last week. Need to wait for judges to decide if automatic approval stand or not. If it is ruled that the automatic approval will not stand, project will go through the normal process: planning board, etc.
- The Old Pathmark is becoming a 99 Ranch store – estimated opening in March, 2017
- Bates Street Project
- West of Old Colony Plaza –37K sq ft. site, mixed Use Building. As of right fully compliant project with Bates Redevelopment Plan. Project required “benign changes” to redevelopment plan: wanted to expand usage for project and in exchange, developer will expand Bates Street.
- Likely rentals, no affordable housing planned at this time. 128 residential units 12 stories down to 4 stories steps down in accordance w/ plan – mix of units from 1-4 BRs.
- Potentially 200-250 people may be living there, potential shuttle to/from downtown transportation (PATH, etc.). No traffic study done yet; however, developer is providing more than required number of parking spots for residential units.
- Retail area – 28.6K sq ft of space with several stores, including one “big box” store (too early in the project to determine what stores will go in there), self-storage and some office space. Several community members expressed concerns about minimal parking being provided for the stores, asked developer to look at this again and come up with additional options, as the lack of parking will have a huge impact on the surrounding communities.
- Wants to go before board on Nov 1st, honored commitment to VVPA to come back and re-present.
- Projected demo in Dec/Jan; 18-24 month projected construction period
- Board of Education Candidates introduced themselves to the VVPA and provided a short overview of their platform and why they are the best candidate/team for the BOE. To see the candidates in a more extensive forum, be sure to attend the highly anticipated Board of Education Candidate Forum on Thursday, 10/27 from 7pm-9pm hosted by the Historic Paulus Hook Association (HPNA) and moderated by Leila Sadeghi, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Guarini Institute for Government and Leadership at Saint Peter’s University.
- Education Matters Team – Sudhan Thomas, Angel Valentin, Gina Verdibello
- Fix It Now Team – Mussab Ali, Kimberly Goycochea
- Building Bridges – Natalia (“Natasha”) Loffe
- Jersey City United Team – Luis Felipe Fernandez, Asmaa Abdalla, Matthew Schapiro
- Rowan For JCBOD – Mark Roan
Adjournment – 9:05 pm