VVPA Meeting 07/18/17
Call to Order – 7:10 pm
- All accounts in good standing
- Golf outing raised over $4,500! Next year’s Golf outing already booked – June 8th, 2018
- All accounts in good standing
- Planning and Development
- Will meet w/ developer re: 102 Wayne St soon regarding their proposed work at this location.
- 328 Montgomery last night’s Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) meeting – owner/developer wanted amendment to their proposed plan. Issue ended up being tabled due to unavailability of expert testimony and unavailability of drawings at that meeting, will be on the 8/21 HPC meeting. All encouraged to attend again and speak out! Even if it isn’t on your block, it is in your neighborhood. We all need to support one another as issues develop in the community that may impact any or all of us.
- 219 Montgomery St. – potential Restaurant? Location currently has COO for 3 commercial spaces. Developer asked if community would be amenable to location being included in restaurant overlay zone, in Cat 1/2 zone, which means it could get liquor or cabaret license. This is a mainly residential street, so committee told developer that it would most likely not be well received by community, but instead suggested a café license would be more amenable.
- Tip: can check City portal to see if permits have been applied for a construction project
- Bright & Varick Update
- Motion to appeal applied, petition to Supreme Court filed. City supporting. Met w/ JCRA who are also supporting our efforts. State courts have up to 90 days to respond, may also have some back and forth between Lawyers in between.
- We will continue to fundraise to pay Attorney’s bills. We also accept donations from community to help offset costs! Have also reached out to league of municipalities to sign on with us —- we want them to understand that this is a bad precedent being set.
- Movies in the Park – www.filmsinvanvorst.com.
- July 26th: Audience Choice Movie – check the link to vote via the online poll!
- 4th Annual Disco in the Park – August 19th , 7pm – 10pm
- Dinner en Blanc/Summer Sendoff Party – August 26th, dress in all white, bring food! Planning for this event is next Monday, 7/24/17. More details and Eventbrite link to come.
- March, 2018 – Fundraiser in Barrow Mansion – Irish Band, Dance lessons – more info to come
New Business/Old Business
- Volunteer Survey – Events throughout the year you can volunteer for. Let us know about what skills you have, what availability you have, etc. Will post volunteer survey again on website.
- Civic Action Committee – groups sprung up all over JC post November 2016 election. Idea: bring civic action groups together to learn more about them and to sign up for the various groups.
- Barrow Mansion call for gardeners! Anyone interested in volunteering, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get you in touch with the Barrow Mansion.
- Amazon Smile – set VVPA as your charity of choice so that a portion of the cost your purchases will be donated to VVPA.
- Increase in parking fine from $60 to $110 for cars parked w/o zone stickers has been approved
- Will keep 8 zones for now.
- Special Requests:
- St. Bridget’s (Montgomery & Brunswick) – currently not in a zone, want to be included in a zone to be able to park near their residences
- Residents on Center St. want to be included in a zone – there are homes interspersed between businesses there and need resident parking.
- Montgomery St. – Resident’s only parking on one side of the street proposed (Montgomery between Jersey & Grove). Andrew Vischio working on a draft. Will be presented to VVPA.
- Election Candidates
- James Solomon
- Rebecca Symes
- Jake Hudnut
- Pat Dugan
Announcements & Community Networking
- November Elections
- Ward E Councilperson Debate – October 16th, 7pm, MS 4
- Mayoral Debate – October 18th, 7pm, MS4
- Jcprogressives.com – website where you can find consolidated info on candidates running for election Nov 7th
- Reminder to provide comments on both the Grand Street Redevelopment and Downtown Traffic Study! Emails to provide feedback are in the July newsletter.
Adjournment – 8:50 pm