Meeting Minutes – October 20th, 2015
7:10pm – Call to Order – President Oona Moore
- Appointed Director – Angelo Estrada, founding member of association, will be tasked with outreach
- Appointed Director – Dermot Ronan – will help w/ VVPA brochure, sponsorship
- New Position: Past President – Marlene Sandkamp
Election for Board Members – Slate Announcement [Voting Scheduled for November Monthly Meeting]
- President – Oona Moore
- 1st VP –Gerry Bakirtjy
- 2nd VP – Jeff Agnew
- Treasurer – Tom Ogorzalek
- Secretary – Yolanda Foley
- At Large – John Ross
- At Large – Ben Bernouy
- Parking changes proposed by Candice Osborne – Aaron Morrill, Committee Person
- Muni-meters on all streets – residents can have stickers and flags for guests;
- No Change in street cleaning due to accumulated debris from trees causing blocked culverts;
- Lack of vetting with neighbors for proposed changes;
- Use of public garages will get more use if muni-meters exist on streets;
- All changes are dependent on ticket enforcement;
- Increase in non-resident parking from 2 hour to 3 hours is detrimental to residents, encourages non-residents to use spots residents are competing for;
- Many huge restaurants coming in – where is the parking that goes along with it? City needs to incorporate issues like this into the master plan.
- One neighbor’s recommended reading: “The High Cost of Free Parking”, by Donald Shoup.
- 2nd Reading will be at next City Council Meeting – all are encouraged to attend and voice their opinions
- Link to Slideshow containing the proposed parking changes can be found here. Please send all comments you may have on this proposal by November 1st to Candice Osborne (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy VVPA (email@example.com) to help establish a neighborhood position.
Officer / Committee Reports
Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
Construction /Development Committee Report – Gerry Bakirtjy for Tom Ogorzalek
- 224 Barrow – will come to next meeting, still need to meet w/ Historic Preservation
- 224 York St – revising drawings
- 87 Bright St – revising drawings to address our concerns
- City Hall Redevelopment Project – Civic JC Lawsuit filed lawsuit. VVPA and Hamilton Park voted to support. Cynthia will go to DCNA whenever we need her to discuss with other associations.
- Jersey Ave Bridge – Candice replied to DCNA letter. Due to deep DEP issues, bridge is on hold for now. Want new person in traffic/engineering to come to next meeting.
- Christopher Columbus Project – on hold with developer.
Bright & Varick Committee Report– Ceci de Leon & Marlene Sandkamp
- Cynthia (lawyer) hasn’t heard from city, would like to send letter to City on our behalf indicating what VVPA would like to see at this lot.
- Per letter from Rushman (developer), his terms are: 24 units, 12 ground floor parking spaces, 20 year tax abatement; Dismissal with prejudice, but keep automatic approval in place; Formal action saying there was no ambiguity in the plan; JCRA modify contract dates
- VVPA’s position: 16 units/no parking or 24 units/12 parking spots; Cap development at a height that is consistent with historic neighborhood, No abatement, no automatic approval. Any plan will need to be looked at for massing and density before being approved.
- Motion made for VVPA’s position as described above, seconded, and majority voted in favor of the VVPA position.
Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
- Halloween Ghoul Bash – Buy tickets online, will also need volunteers throughout the night – contact VVPA to volunteer. Food, drinks, DJ, dancing, prizes at the party. Tell your friends!
- FREE! Haunted Gazeebo in Park – Bring kids!
- FREE! Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday, 10/24, in Van Vorst Park
Voting on Changes to VVPA By-Laws
- Proposed changes to VVPA By-Laws can be found here. All will have until next meeting for suggestions/changes. Will discuss and vote next meeting on the proposed changes.
Board of Education Candidates Presentation – Elections 11/3/15
- Everyone has skin in the game: good public schools paves the way for our future leaders. Having a strong education results in strengthened community, good jobs for kids and enriched lives. As homeowners, you need to be concerned with the school budget as some of your taxes pay for schools.Gina Verdibillo – Independent Candidate, Ballot Position 2D
Vidya Gangadin – Current Board President, Ballot Position 3D
Marilyn Roman – Current Board Vice President, Ballot Position 4D
John Reichart – Ballot Position 1D – not in attendance
Announcements & Community networking
- Committee People working on appointing block Captains
- Thanks to Sheridan Bell , 1st VP, who is stepping down from the board after his term ends this year.
- Petition for lighting in Van Vorst Park Dog Park is posted on “Next Door” app/website. You can also access the link to the petition here – all are encouraged to check out the petition and to join the Next Door application for additional information
Adjournment – 9:05 pm