Meeting Minutes – November 15th, 2016
7:35pm – Call to Order – President Oona Moore
- Call to action – decide as a community how we want to be. Take small actions to stay informed and improve your community. Reach out to other communities in JC – better solidarity in the future. Start local!
- Welcome Bill from the New JSQ Community Association – Motto: “Clean, Green & Safe”
- City Wide Coalition is still a goal to understand issues across the city – strength in numbers.
- Planning Board Meeting Update – 328 Montgomery was on the agenda (new location for Hard Grove Café?). Facade was on agenda, applicant will be required to reconstruct according to original design. Board stressed that Zoning/Nick Taylor stay on top of this project, including clearly defining hours of operation, what is it zoned for (Restaurant 1 & 2 – not a bar or nightclub).
Officer / Committee Reports
Treasurer Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- All accounts in good standing, no outstanding bills, in good shape with projected operating expenses for the rest of the year
Construction /Development Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Meetings generally held same day before the VVPA meeting. No need to be in the business, just have to have a need to want to help!
- Goal: streamline process, keep lines of communication open, and make process inclusive. Work with developers prior to their VVPA community presentation to work out any issues that may be of concern for the community. Has been beneficial to getting advance notice of development in community. Saves time and money.
Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
- Halloween event was a success, great turnout.
- Annual end-of-year celebration / open House in December in conjunction with DCNA and the Barrow Mansion on Saturday, 12/10 @ 7pm! Music, caroling, food, wine, etc. Bring a food pantry item to donate. Friday night 12/9, help to decorate the mansion ~7pm – looking for volunteers – pizza will be served, bring some wine to share!
- 2017 events are being planned – stay tuned for details.
- President – Oona will extend for 6 months
- First Vice President –Gerry Bakirtjy
- Second Vice President – Ben Bernouy
- Secretary – Yolanda will extend for 6 months
- Treasurer – Dermot Ronan
- At-Large – Angelo Estrada & Karen Lorentz
- Important for the board to carry on strong – we have made great progress with the city, let’s keep the initiative going! Anyone who is interested in serving on the board, please let us know!
- Ideas for recruiting new people?
- Rebecca, president of Harsimus Cove Association – doing a door knocking campaign with pamphlets
- Farmer’s Market in Van Vorst Park – get a volunteer to be out there on Saturdays to talk about VVPA
- Get stories in NJ.com and Hudson Reporter
- Perhaps create a director of membership position for VVPA?
- Rally on Sunday – about kids & families and coming together. Our community starts with us, so take action.
- Thanksgiving Food Drive for needy families – city hall & each Fire House and Police District by Friday
- 20th Annual Toy Drive – registration in process with RRC.
- Rebecca Symes, GC for Dixon & Nelson (architect)
- Rework of design, based on community feedback
- Roof desk on rear addition, attaching existing garage to existing building – include interior staircase for access to roof deck (also serves as emergency egress)
- 3-6 months construction estimate, trying to get on December agenda
Adjournment – 8:45 pm