February 2018 VVPA Monthly Newsletter16 Feb 2018, Posted by Updates in
The next VVPA monthly meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 20 at 7:00 pm in The Barrow Mansion (83 Wayne St.). As a reminder, the VVPA monthly meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, so be sure to mark your calendars in advance!
Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda
Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood! Wine tasting provided by our friends at Jersey Wines & Spirits!
7:00pm – 7:10pm – Welcome and Call to Order – President Ben Bernouy
7:10pm – 7:20pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Dermot Ronan
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:20pm – 8:50pm – Guest Speakers & Presentations
- Jersey Avenue Bridge Update – Andrew Vischio, Joe Cunha, and representatives from Sam Schwartz Engineering will be presenting findings from a detailed assessment of the anticipated traffic diversion and potential traffic impacts to the Van Vorst Park neighborhood and Downtown Jersey City resulting from the construction of the Jersey Avenue Bridge.
- Reval Information Session with Ward E Councilperson James Solomon, Mark Duda from Appraisal Systems, and City Tax Assessor Ed Toloza
Upcoming Community Events
- A group show of traditional and contemporary South Asian art and works inspired by the spiritual theme of the holiday.
- An exhibit of Indian dance and music will be performed Sunday, 3/4 at 5pm by Shehnaaz Dance Academy.
- Sponsored by the Barrow Mansion and Mariarts. Complimentary wine and light fare will be served.
- Join the Van Vorst Park Association and the Barrow Mansion as we Discover Ireland. An afternoon filled with food, live music, dance and festivities for the whole family, and a day to honor some local Irish neighbors.
- Learn Gaelic, Irish dance & Ceili dancing, listen to some classic Irish Storytelling, chow on some Irish delicacies! Have a favorite Irish soda bread or cake recipe you’ve always wanted to share? Sign up and see if you bring home the top prize!
- Complimentary Irish bites and Irish Whiskey and drinks available at our cash bar.
- Tickets (available on Eventbrite): $5 per person, $20 per family
- Barrow Mansion Decorating, Saturday March 10 – 7:30-9:30pm (4)
- Irish Party 3/11: Set Up (3); Food (4); Ticket Sales (2); Bar (4; Registration (2); Clean Up (3)
News You Can Use
- Resources for the Reval – To prepare downtown residents for the property tax revaluation results, Councilman Solomon has made a presentation and additional resources available online. The VVPA has reached out to several other individuals to speak to us regarding the reval and appeals process.
- JC Walks – The JC Walks team is working to finalize recommendations for making Jersey City streets a safer and more pleasant place to walk. In the meantime, let JC Walks know your favorite street, trail, or path to walk on, or your favorite destinations to walk to. The results will be incorporated in a map of notable walking routes.
- East District Captain’s Meetings – 4th Tuesday of every month at 7pm(MS4 Library on Bright St.; location subject to change). Community members can discuss crime/crime trends, quality of life issues, and other safety/security concerns with the JCPD. For more information on upcoming meetings, contact JCDP East District Community Relations Officer, Dina Lionakis (201.547.4370 / email@example.com)
As always, we try to bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. If you have any items that are important to share, please email vvpanews@gmail.
The VVPA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group. In addition to making a contribution through the VVPA website, we are registered as a non-profit at Amazon Smile. So every time you shop through Amazon Smile, select the VVPA as your charitable organization of choice, and Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to the VVPA.
Thanks to our Generous Sponsors!
The VVPA depends on fundraising and sponsorships from local businesses and community members. Interested in becoming a sponsor? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.