January 2018 VVPA Monthly Newsletter12 Jan 2018, Posted by Updates in
The next VVPA monthly meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 16 at 7:00pm in The Barrow Mansion (83 Wayne St.). As a reminder, the VVPA monthly meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, so be sure to mark your calendars in advance!
Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda
Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood! Wine tasting provided by our friends at Jersey Wines & Spirits!
7:00pm – 7:10pm – Welcome and Call to Order – President Ben Bernouy
7:10pm – 7:20pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Dermot Ronan
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:20pm – 8:50pm – Guest Speakers & Presentations
- Update on 328 Montgomery
- Developer Presentation – 38 Mercer Street; Presentation by the Owner and Architect
- Additional speakers TBA
Below is just a partial list of the many, many wonderful events happening in the Van Vorst neighborhood and throughout our city. If you have a community event that you’d like featured in our newsletter, please reach out to us email@example.com. And, as always, if you’d like to get more involved by becoming part of the events committee, the VVPA always welcomes volunteers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to join in the fun!
Drawing Rooms Fundraiser & Art Show – 1/12 – 2/17/18
Love art? Like to support local artists? Here’s a way to do that: join Drawing Rooms for the Big Small Show, which reopens Friday, January 12. For more information on these cool events, click here.
News You Can Use
As always, we try to bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. If you have any items that are important to share, please email us email@example.com.
- Annual Homeless Point in Time Count On January 24, Hudson County will conduct its Annual Homeless Point in Time Count (PITC) by doing an extensive street count as well as a count among homeless shelters. If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering for the PITC or making a donation for clients experiencing homelessness, please complete the following survey. Questions? Contact Katelyn Cunningham:firstname.lastname@example.org
- East District Captain’s Meetings, which are regularly scheduled for the 4th Tuesday of every month at 7pm (typically in MS4 Library on Bright St., but location subject to change), are a great opportunity for community members to discuss crime/crime trends, quality of life issues, and other safety/security concerns with the JCPD. For more information on upcoming meetings, reach out to the JCDP East District Community Relations Officer, Dina Lionakis, at 201.547.4370 / email@example.com.
- JC Shovels – The Department of Public Works is preparing for the winter season by looking for volunteers for their JC Shovels Program. This program connects volunteers with seniors in JC who are in need of assistance with snow shoveling. For more information or to volunteer, click here.
Give Back to your Community!
Periodically the VVPA receives inquiries from civic-minded folks like you looking for ways to get more involved in their community. Below are a few ways to accomplish this:
In order to bring you free and low-cost events throughout the year, the VVPA depends on fundraising and sponsorships from local businesses and community members. For more information on the benefits of becoming a sponsor, as well as the various sponsorship levels that are available, please reach out to us firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those looking to make financial contributions, you can contribute directly through the VVPA website! Don’t forget: VVPA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group, so be sure toask your Company to match your charitable contribution! And, we are registered as a non-profit at Amazon Smile, so every time you shop through Amazon Smile, select the VVPA as your charitable organization of choice, and Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to the VVPA.
VVPA Board & Committee Positions
The VVPA is always looking for people to lend a hand by becoming active on the VVPA board or on one of its many committees: Construction & Development; Events; Membership; and Special Projects. There are no formal requirements other than a genuine desire to help to move the community forward.
Donate Your Professional Services
Throughout the year, there are numerous opportunities to help the VVPA streamline costs and make our efforts more efficient through donating your professional services. And, if you have a professional skill you can share with your neighbors at an upcoming event, that would be valuable as well. All types of talents and expertise are welcome!
Spread the Word
Make a commitment to bring a new friend, relative or neighbor to an upcoming association meeting or event. The VVPA welcomes all!
Stay Connected, Stay Informed
- City Public Meetings – For the full schedule and location details of Important City Public Meetings, please refer to the Public Meetings Calendar, found on the City of Jersey City website.
- We encourage all residents to sign up to receive Community News & Updates from your elected officials: James Solomon, Jermaine Robinsonand Steven Fulop by clicking on the links provided. You can also reach out to your committeeperson for assistance on local matters. Email vvpanews@gmail.
com for additional information on how to reach out to your committeeperson.
- Jersey City Resident Response Center (JCRRC) is available to all to find answers to commonly asked questions or to report non-emergency concerns/problems to the City (potholes, failure to pick up trash, fallen tree branch removal, etc.). Residents may also download the Jersey City Connect app to contact the JCRRC.
- Stay Informed and Active in your Community by signing up for NextDoor and Swift911, and monitoring local news through NJ.Com, the Jersey Journal and Hudson Reporter.
We’d like to thank our sponsors Dixon Leasing: a subsidiary of Dixon Advisory and Barrow Mansion Development Corporation for their generous donations and Jersey Wine & Spirits for their sponsorship. And we always love working with Friends of Van Vorst Park! Without our sponsors and friends, we would not be able to bring you so many FREE or low-cost events throughout the year. We encourage all of you to support these businesses and let them know that you appreciate their donations! If you are a local business that would like to become a VVPA sponsor, please reach out to the VVPA sponsorship committee.