Monthly Meeting Details & Agenda Whether you are new to the neighborhood or a long-time resident, this is YOUR COMMUNITY. Stop by and have a glass a wine on us, while you meet neighbors and learn about what’s going on here in your historic neighborhood! Wine tasting to be provided by our friends at Jersey Wines & Spirits! As usual, our agenda is full of awesome guest speakers and great topics. This month’s meeting features a meet & greet with Jarod Neal Bernstein, SVP of Communications for CarePoint Health System. Additionally, we will have updates from Assembly persons Chiaravalloti & McKnight as well as meet & greets with the at-large candidates. And, we will be providing an update on the elections for VVPA board positions.
7:00pm – 7:10pm – Welcome and Call to Order – President Oona Moore
7:10pm – 7:25pm – Officer & Committee Reports
- Treasurer Report – Dermot Ronan
- Construction Committee Report – Tom Ogorzalek
- Events Committee Report – Eric Carter/Marlene Sandkamp
7:25pm – 7:35pm – Old Business/New Business
- Community input is welcomed for any other new issues/concerns affecting our community, as well as ideas for topics or speakers at upcoming meetings
7:35pm – 7:45pm – VVPA Elections update
- Elections Officer – Dan Webber
7:45pm – 8:50pm – Guest Speakers & Presentations
- 7:45pm – 7:55pm – Jarod Neal Bernstein
- 7:55pm – 8:05pm – Assemblyman Chiaravalloti
- 8:05pm – 8:15pm – Assemblywoman McKnight
- 8:15pm – 8:50pm – At-Large Candidates
8:50pm – 9:00pm – Announcements & Community networking
Community Events Below is just a partial list of the many, many wonderful events happening in the Van Vorst neighborhood and throughout our city. If you have a community event that you’d like featured in our newsletter, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. And, as always, if you’d like to get more involved by becoming part of the events committee, the VVPA always welcomes volunteers. Contact email@example.com to join in the fun!
VVPA Sponsored Events JC Art & Studio Tour – Saturday, October 14th & 15th The Van Vorst Park Association and the Historic Barrow Mansion invite you to a weekend of art and music as we join the Jersey City Art & Studio Tour (JCAST) to showcase pieces by local artists. Please join us for this show entitled Motion: Emotion with over 50 works of art, dance (the Kennedy Dancers), music (The Sensational Country Blues Wonders & Forget the Whale) and poetry (JC Writers). Complimentary wine and light fare will be served. For more details, click here. Volunteers welcome!!
Haunted Halloween in Van Vorst Park – Tuesday, 10/31 The VVPA and Friends of Van Vorst Park present a haunted Halloween in Van Vorst Park! Candy, cookies & costumes! Hot cider for the adults and fun for all! Stay tuned for additional details.
VVPA/DCNA Annual End of Year Holiday Celebration – December 9th, 7pm It’s never to soon to mark your calendars for this fabulous end of year tradition! The Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (DCNA), of which the VVPA is a part of, will once again be partnering with the Barrow Mansion for an annual end of year holiday celebration. There will be festive cheer, music, food & drinks, and as usual, a wonderful gathering of friends and neighbors in a gorgeous setting. Stay tuned for more details about this awesome event! ************************************************************************************** Other Community Events
JC Mayoral Streets Forum – October 4th, 7pm – 9pm Safe Streets JC and Bike JC are co-hosting the first JC Mayoral Streets Forum on Wednesday, Oct. 4. Incumbent Mayor Steven Fulop and challenger Bill Matsikoudis, who will compete in the local elections on Nov. 7, have agreed to participate in the forum which will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 4, 7-9 p.m. at MLK PS 11 (886 Bergen Ave, near Journal Square). The Forum will address how the mayoral candidates will make our streets safer and more accessible to all citizens over the next four years. Overall traffic safety is becoming a chronic public health issue city-wide as the city continues to grow in density.
Con Vivo Music String Quartet Concert – October 6th, 7pm – 8pm Con Vivo Music returns to Cathedral Hall (380 Montgomery St.) for an evening of beautiful string quartet music. This event is FREE and open to all! For more information, click here.
Hurricane Maria Relief Fundraiser – October 7th, 3pm – Abre Latas Social Club, with the American Red Cross, is hosting a fundraiser for Hurricane Maria relief. Fundraiser will be held at 656 Grand St, Jersey City. In addition to donations (made out to the American Red Cross), items being collected include water, toiletries and non-perishable food items. Let’s all show our generosity and support this very worthwhile cause. For more information, click here.
Grand Street Concept Development Study/Community Workshop – October 12th, 4:30pm – 8pm Grand Street Study workshop at Dr. Lena Edwards Charter School on Thursday October 12 from 4:30 â€“ 8:00 pm. utilizes advanced street redesign techniques to enhance safety conditions along Grand Street, to improve the balance between all transportation modes, including vehicles,pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users, and to make Grand Street safer and more accessible for all users! For more information, click here.
Election Debates, Sponsored by DCNA – October 16th & 18th The Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations will be sponsoring debates for candidates running for councilperson for Ward E as well as the Mayor’s Office. Ward E Councilperson Debate, hosted by Terrence McDonald of the Jersey Journal, will be on 10/16/17 at 7pm at MS4 on Bright Street. The Mayoral Debate, also hosted by Terrence McDonald of the Jersey Journal, will be on 10/18/17 at 7pm, will be at MS4 on Bright Street. ************************************************************************************** Seasonal Events
- The farmer’s market, brought to you by Friends of Van Vorst Park, is up and running on Saturday mornings at the gazeebo in Van Vorst Park. The Farmer’s Market runs Saturdays, from 8am – 3pm, through December 23rd.
- The Historic Downtown Farmer’s Market, brought to you by the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District (HDSID), is up and running on Monday’s at the Grove PATH Plaza.
Groove on Grove, a weekly local music series at the Grove PATH Plaza, is back for its 10th season! Performances on Wednesdays from 6pm-9pm.
Give Back to your Community!
Periodically the VVPA receives inquiries from civic-minded folks like you looking for ways to get more involved in their community. Below are a few ways to accomplish this:
VVPA Sponsors – In order to bring you free and low-cost events throughout the year, the VVPA depends on fundraising and sponsorships from local businesses and community members. For more information on the benefits of becoming a sponsor, as well as the various sponsorship levels that are available, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charitable Donations – For those looking to make financial contributions, you can go directly to the VVPA website and click on the Donate button! Don’t forget: VVPA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group, so be sure to ask your Company to match your charitable contribution! And, we are registered as a non-profit at Amazon Smile, so every time you shop through Amazon Smile, select the VVPA as your charitable organization of choice, and Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to the VVPA.
VVPA Board & Committee Positions – The VVPA is always looking for people to lend a hand by becoming active on the VVPA board or on one of its many committees: Construction & Development Committee; Events Committee; Membership Committee; Special Projects Committee. There are no formal requirements other than a genuine desire to help to move the community forward in a positive direction.
Donate Your Professional Services – Throughout the year, there are numerous opportunities to help the VVPA streamline costs and make our efforts more efficient through donating your professional services. And, if you have a professional skill you can share with your neighbors at an upcoming event, that would be valuable as well. All types of talents and expertise are welcome!
Spread the Word – Make a commitment to bring a new friend, relative or neighbor to an upcoming association meeting or event. The VVPA welcomes all!
News You Can Use As always, we try to bring you as many items of interest that affect our community. If you have any items that are important to share, please email us at email@example.com.
- East District Captain’s Meetings, which are regularly scheduled for the 4th Tuesday of every month at 7pm (typically in MS4 Library on Bright St., but location subject to change), are a great opportunity for community members to discuss crime/crime trends, quality of life issues, and other safety/security concerns with the JCPD. For more information on upcoming meetings, reach out to the JCDP East District Community Relations Officer, Dina Lionakis, at 201.547.4370 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The City of Jersey City has partnered with the Governor’s Office of Puerto Rico and the US Customs Service to aid those in Puerto Rico who were affected by the devastating hurricane. New personal hygiene items (acetaminophen, aspirin, batteries, Clorox, dental floss, diapers, feminine hygiene products, hand sanitizer, mouth wash, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste) and water are being collected at the following locations: Cocoa Bakery (JC), Journal Square Plaza Information Kiosk (JC), Half Time Bar (JC), Light Rail Cafe (JC), Mo Kinberg HQ (JC), Scotland Yard (Hoboken) and Stanlaw Fitness (Bayonne).
This hurricane season has been very active and has caused severe damage and devastation to several states as well as many islands in the Caribbean. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected. In planning for disasters, Continuity of Operations Plans are critical to continue to operate and/or perform essential functions. In this spirit, the Hudson County Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD) is presenting Continuity of Operations Planning (COOP) on Friday, October 27, 2017 from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm at the Hudson County Emergency Operations Center (EOC). To register, please go to Eventbrite Registration.
Stay Connected, Stay Informed……
- In addition to receiving news you can use from VVPA, we encourage all residents to sign up to receive Community News / Updates from your elected officials. Sign up for updates from Candice Osborne , Jermaine Robinson and Steven Fulop by clicking on the links provided. Or, you can reach out to your committee person for assistance on local matters. Please reach out to email@example.com for additional information on how to reach out to your local committeeperson.
- Jersey City Resident Response Center is a resource available to all to find answers to commonly asked questions or to report non-emergency concerns/problems to the City of Jersey City (potholes, failure to pick up trash, fallen tree branch removal, etc.). In addition to utilizing the JCRRC website, residents may also download the app on their phone (JerseyCityConnect) and can attach photos to any request to help clarify the concern (note: directions to download the app have been added to the VVPA website, www.vvpa.org). We encourage all to utilize these resources to help resolve issues in their community.
- Stay Informed and Active in your Community by signing up for the NextDoor and Swift911 applications and monitoring local news through NJ.Com/hudson, and the Jersey Journal and Hudson Reporter newspapers. Nextdoor is a private social network that connects neighbors to talk online and makes communities stronger, better and safer. The City uses the Swift911 platform to send citywide emergency and non-emergency alerts through a variety of channels including voice, text message, email, fax, pager, and social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Registration is free, so join today.
- JC Parking Authority – To get daily updates on whether or not parking rules are in effect in Jersey City, you can follow @JCParking on Twitter. Due to a computer error, the Parking Division has not been able to issue permit renewal notices on a regular basis. They are working on correcting this issue. Please check your permit expiration date, and if you have not received a renewal, please call 201-547-5538 or ext. 2115,2117, or 2119.
Important City Public Meetings For the full schedule and location details of Important City Public Meetings, please refer to the Public Meetings Calendar found on the City of Jersey City website. Remember, it’s YOUR COMMUNITY, so stay informed and stay involved!
We’d like to thank our sponsors Dixon Leasing: a subsidiary of Dixon Advisory and Barrow Mansion Development Corporation for their generous donations and Jersey Wine & Spirits for their sponsorship. And, we always love working with Friends of Van Vorst Park! Without our sponsors and friends, we would not be able to bring you so many FREE or low-cost events throughout the year. We encourage all of you to support these businesses and let them know that you appreciate their donations! If you are a local business that would like to become a VVPA sponsor, please reach out to the VVPA sponsorship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.